Julian Bond, 3rd Generation Civil Rights Activist Passes Away

With great sadness, I learned today that Julian Bond had passed away yesterday at the age of 75. #47 Julian-Bond

I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Bond on a couple of occasions, via eamail, several years ago while researching his his grandfather, Dr. James Bond.I have read several of the main stream media reports on Julian Bond’s passing, but no one has mentioned the remarkable linage of the Bond Family. Julian Bond was a remarkable person. His accomplishments were way beyond what I could ever hope to achieve, and those accomplishments were built on the success of his father (Horace Bond) and grandfather’s (James Bond) work. The contribution that this family has made to the fight for racial equality cannot be rivaled. Here is short essay about the Bond family.

J Bond Newspaper Photo

James Bond, who was born a slave in 1863 Kentucky, and later graduated from Berea College to become a successful teacher and minister.

James Bond, grandfather of Julian Bond, was an 1892 graduate of Berea and later served as a College Trustee from 1896 – 1914. During his career he was pastor at churches in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia and was a professor at Fisk University. As financial secretary of Berea he was a principal figure in raising money for Lincoln Institute, a school initiated by Berea College in 1910 after Kentucky’s Day Law denied African Americans the right to attend Berea, and served as Lincoln’s first financial agent when it opened in 1912. His children, including the late Horace Mann Bond, Julian Bond’s father, attended Lincoln Institute. As a Rosenwald Foundation fellow, H. M. Bond conducted research used by the NAACP in the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education case. Horace Bond went on to earn a doctorate and was a distinguished educator serving as president of two colleges and later as dean of the School of Education at Atlanta University.

Dr. James Bond, a Kentucky champion of education in the latter part of the 19th century, and the early part of the 20th, became a successful teacher and minister. He taught African American soldiers to read and write at Camp Zachary Taylor while working for the YMCA in Louisville.

James Bond was born a slave in Woodford County, Kentucky in the year of 1863 near Lawrenceburg. His mother, Jane Arthur and their family were emancipated two years later at the end of the Civil War.

In 1879, James was enrolled in school in Berea, and in 1886, entered Berea College and graduated in 1892 with a Bachelor of Science degree. He was one of only 2000 African Americans with a college degree in the United States at that time. He also served as a Berea College Trustee from 1896 to 1914.

He later enrolled in Oberlin College in Ohio and studied ministry, graduating with a Bachelors Degree of Divinity in 1895, and his Doctorate from Berea in 1901. He later became the pastor of church in Birmingham, Alabama, and later assumed the position of Pastor at The Howard Congregational Church in Nashville, Tennessee. He then joined the teaching facility as a professor at Fisk Theological Seminary.

While in Nashville, Dr. Bond became an out spoken advocate for the repeal of laws that enforced segregation in the city in the late 1890’s. His work in this endeavor gained him great respect among the African American community in Kentucky and the surrounding states.

In 1906, Dr. Bond returned to Kentucky where he worked as the financial secretary at Berea and was later the main influence behind the creation of the Lincoln Institute, an all African American School built near Shelbyville, Kentucky.

The Lincoln Institute was founded in 1909 due to the “The Day Law”, which was written and directed specifically at Berea College. The interracial college was the target of the times, where in whites focused on removing all the African Americans from the college. The Day Law was upheld by the Supreme Court in 1904, and mandated the segregation of all higher educational institutions.

Dr. Bond and Mr. Kirke Smith joined the campaign to raise the funds necessary to build a new school for the African American students put out by the finding. Dr. Bond and Mr. Smith were instrumental in securing a $200,00.00 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, and along with contributions from other individuals, they raised the $400,00.00 necessary to start the school.

After many legal battles, and some violence from people opposed to the construction of an all black school in Shelby County, Ky, the construction began in 1911 and the first students were enrolled in October of 1912.

Dr. Bond worked at the Lincoln Institute as the financial director until 1917, when the outbreak of World War 1 took the United States into new territory. Br. Bond had volunteered for the Chaplains Corp, but due to his age (54), he was not accepted for active duty. However his service was far from unneeded. He was offered a position of the Service Director for the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) at Camp Zachary Taylor.

James Bond YMCA Protrait small Dr. James Bond at Camp Zachary Taylor 1918

Dr. Bond worked with the United States Army, and through the services provided by the YMCA, which had seven facilities at various places in the camp, he organized and taught literacy and writing classed to African American soldiers. The YMCA Services Program also included counseling, emergency services and recreation for the men stationed there.

After the War ended, Dr. Bond was appointed Kentucky Secretary for the black YMCA’s. He also held the position of Kentucky Director of the Commission on Interracial Cooperation. While working for the YMCA and the state of Kentucky, he traveled throughout the state, helping communities establish and organize programs of interracial communication and cooperation. He held some of the first interracial meetings of white and black citizens where open discussions were held on topics of mutual problems in an interracial setting. Both the Southern Regional Council of Atlanta and the Kentucky Council on Human Relations were based on the work of Dr. Bond and his programs at the YMCA and Commission on Interracial Cooperation.

Dr. Bond’s youngest son, Horace Mann Bond, held a doctorate and was president of two colleges and also served and dean of the School of Education at Atlanta University. Horace M. Bond was also a main contributor to the research of the Supreme Court Case, Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954.

#46 Horace Bond Horace Bond

His grandson, Julian Bond was Chairman of the NAACP and a professor at the American University in Washington DC, and at the University of Virginia.

We will miss Julian Bond, and wish to extend our sympathy to the family, along with the gratitude for the contributions your family has made to this nation in the struggle for equality for everyone.

Naturalization Tree Marker at Camp Zachary Taylor is Moved to New Home

Old and New Monument Location-2

To very little fanfare, the Naturalization Tree Monument at Camp Zachary Taylor, was relocated to it’s new home in Camp Zachary Taylor Park the week of June 15th, 2015. This great achievement is a long time coming. This only original marker from the era of WW1 is now available for all to see.
The limestone Monument was erected in 1921, the year the camp was closed, by the Daughters of the American Revolution, to mark the spot where the tree was standing. The Magnificent Ash Tree stood for many more years, but died after being struck by lightning. The Memorial was protected by deed restrictions, but following the closing of the VFW Post, who was the caretaker, the small plot of land was sold off. The Monument ended up in the back yard of the property owner along Lee Street, where it was fenced in for several years.
Now it, along with a planned Flagstaff and Historical Plaque will soon accompany it in Camp Taylor Park. The Historical Plaque will give details about the tree, it’s role in the US Army during World War 1, and will feature photographs of it. A re-dedication ceremony is planned for this fall. I will post updates as they become available. Thanks to all who helped this happen, especially Metro Councilman Steve Magre.

Tree Photo-3

The Naturalization Tree circa 1925

June 11, 2015 – The 98th Anniversary of the announcement to build Camp Zachary Taylor

Work Begun 6-23-17

June 11, 2015, marks the 98th anniversary of the announcement that Louisville KY was selected as one of the sixteen cities in America, where the US Army would build a Army Training Cantonment at the onset of World War 1. The City of Louisville had been competing with six other cities in the region to win the contract for a camp that would be located in the Mid-West.

The other competing locations were: Evansville IN., Fort Wayne IN, Indianapolis IN., Jeffersonville IN., Bowling Green KY. and Lexington KY.

Louisville was selected over the other sites for several reasons.
1.) Nearly 4000 acres of undeveloped land was available within a six mile radius of the City.
2.) It was more centrally located (geographically).
3.) It had a better railway system with access to all north to south and east to west lines.
4.) It had a never diminishing water supply.
5.) It was the only City that offered a 5 cent street car line.
6.) It was only one of three cities that had a sanitary sewer system.
7.) It was only one of three cities that would have a rifle range available.
8.) It was the only city that could offer all of the prime requisites.
9.) No other city could provide an equal or better offer.
10.) The City of Louisville guaranteed to give the camp “An Atmosphere of Patriotism, Efficiency and Morality”.

In closing, the selection committee made this statement. ” It’s selection will be best the US Army. the Nation and Best For The Boys.”

This decision put into motion the largest single construction project in Louisville’s history. The camp would house an entire Division of men numbering 47,000, and cost over $7.2 million to construct (approx 200 million in today’s currency).

The construction firm of Mason and Hanger from Lexington KY was selected as the general contractor. Within three days of Louisville being selected, representatives of Mason and Hanger were in Washington to meet with the War Department to discuss the project. The plans were drawn on the train while they were in transit for the meeting.

Material was purchased and delivered to the site the following week by rail car and the first building was started on June 21st. 1917, exactly 10 days after the decision was made to build the camp in Louisville.

Construction continued at a blinding pace. 1787 buildings were built between June 21st and August 28th (when the project was considered to be substantially complete), or 69 calendar days. This also includes 16.3 miles of new roads, 30.8 miles of new sewer lines, 38.7 miles of new water lines, all new electric and telegraph lines, extension of the street car line into the camp, and 6.75 miles of railroad track and spurs.

The photo above was taken three days after construction began. Four (200 man) barracks were under roof and five other buildings were well underway 72 hours after they drove the first nail.The pace increased each day until a 60′ x 200′ two story barrack could be built and under roof in just 1 1/2 hours.

The construction crew numbered in the thousands, with the maximum number of workers peaking on August 19th, 1917, at 10,000 employees. The largest trade employed were the carpenters at 4280 men. Next were the Laborers at 3490 employed then electricians and plumbers at 942. The balance were miscellaneous trades such as truck drivers and water boys. The highest paid employees were the Carpentry Foremen and .75 cents per hour down to the Messenger’s and Water Boys at .15 cents per hour.

The construction of the camp by Mason and Hanger was completed on November 23rd, and officially turned over to the US Army on December 1, 1917. The first troops arrived on September 8th, 1917, and occupied the buildings while the finishing touches were being completed by the contractor.

The camp stayed open for three years until the US Army announced on July 20, 1920, that Camp Zachary Taylor would be closed, which was almost three years to the day when the first building was begun. The camp officially closed for good September 1, 1920. All of the land was sold off at auction the next year, along with a few of the buildings. Some of the original land owners bought back the land they sold to the army just three years earlier for a fraction of what they were paid for it. Of the 7 million dollars spent to build the camp, the army only recouped a little over 1 million at auction.

Copyright 2015, Camp Zachary Taylor Historical Society, Louisville KY.

May 7, 2015 – The 100th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Lusitania

The Sinking of the Lusitania, May 7, 1915

The Lusitania was built in 1903, and made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York in September 1907. She was the fastest liner afloat. The engines produced 68,000-horse power at a speed over 25 knots. The Lusitania was known as the “Greyhound of the Seas” and she soon captured the record for the fastest Atlantic crossing.

When war broke out in Europe in 1914, The United States originally pursued a policy of Isolationism. President Wilson was avoiding conflict while trying to broker a peace. This resulted in increased tensions with Berlin and London. When a German U-boat sank the British liner Lusitania in 1915, with 128 Americans aboard, U.S. President Wilson vowed, “America was too proud to fight” and demanded an end to attacks on passenger ships. Germany complied.
On May 1, 1915, the ship departed New York City bound for Liverpool. Unknown to her passengers but probably no secret to the Germans, almost all her hidden cargo consisted of munitions and contraband destined for the British war effort. As the fastest ship afloat, the luxurious liner felt secure in the belief she could easily outdistance any submarine.
On May 7, the ship neared the coast of Ireland. At 2:10 in the afternoon a torpedo fired by the German submarine U 20 slammed into her side. A mysterious second explosion ripped the liner apart. The ship listed so badly and quickly that lifeboats crashed into passengers crowded on deck, or dumped their loads into the water. Most passengers never had a chance. Within 18 minutes the giant ship slipped beneath the sea. One thousand one hundred nineteen of the 1,924 aboard died. The dead included 114 Americans.

Former Camp Zachary Taylor’s Commandant’s House Is Up for Sale, and Now at Risk of Demolition

Gen Hale

General Harry C. Hale, Commander of Camp Zachary Taylor and the 84th Division, which was organized in August 1917 at Camp Zachary Taylor, where men from Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois were sent for basic training at the onset of the United States entering World War 1. General Hale was in service in China in 1917, and was called back to the United States when the camps were near completion in September of that year, and to take command of Camp Zachary Taylor. He was a famous Indian Fighter in the “Bad Lands” of South Dakota in the 1880’s and was famous for single handily capturing “Sitting Bulls” warriors, where he brought them back to the reservation.


General Hale took possession of this farm house for his residence while Commander of the camp. It was located directly across the street from the “Head Quarters” buildings, which were built along Taylor Ave. on the west side of Poplar Level Road.


The residence, which is at 4211 Poplar Level Road, is being offered for sale as a commercial site. The front half of the property is zoned C1 (commercial), while the back half is zoned R5 (residential). The listing Realtor suggests that the lot could be used for a “Convenience Store” or “Car Wash”. This clearly indicates that the intent would be to tear down the Historic Building and construct a modern store front property for retail use.


The house seen in this 1917 photograph, was built in 1911, and was the home of Alphonse Schoenbachler. He owned the house and 95 acres of land that stretched from Poplar Level Road (east) to Newburg Road. He sold his land, as well did hundreds of other patriotic Louisvillian’s, for the war cause. The house has been a residence for 103 years, but now faces the possibility of being demolished. It is the very last one of these Original Farm Houses, that stood along Poplar Level Road before Camp Zachary Taylor was constructed.

Other Historic Homes that we have since lost due to the construction of Camp Taylor, or after it was dismantled are:

The “Basil Prather” homestead, which was located on top of Quarry Hill. It was built in 1797, and survived until after WW1, only to be demolished for a subdivision.

We lost the George Rogers Clark Homestead in 1917, which was torn down when Camp Taylor was under construction. It is considered to be “The Most Significant Loss” of a Historical Structure in Louisville’s history.

Clark Homestead-A

We also lost the home of Leo Schimeider. The Schneider’s 28 acre Estate was at the corner of Poplar Level and Hess Lane (NW Corner). It was bulldozed after the camp was sold and the land subdivided. The house was taking up too much land, and they could build three new homes where it stood. It is pictured below when it was sold in 1921 and demolished shortly thereafter.


The destruction of these significant buildings, that make up our Local History, needs to come to a stop. The almighty dollar cannot, and will not, ever replace the importance of our Iconic and Historic Landmarks. The photographs will never replace the buildings that make up the History of Our Neighborhoods. Please write to Metro Councilman, Jim King and our Representative Jim Wayne, and let them know that we need to protect this Historic Building.

Happy 97th Birthday to Camp Zachary Taylor, Louisville, Kentucky.

Opening Day-A front

97 Years Ago, November 3rd, 1917, Camp Zachary Taylor conducted their official opening day celebration. Approximately 40 thousand soldiers and thousands of civilians attended the event on the very clear and mild fall day. It was attended by politicians and military officers from the camp and Washington DC. You can read more details about the events of that day on the link above, “97th Anniversary – Nov. 3, 2014”.

200 Years on the Ohio Exhibit

I will be presenting a two (2) day exhibit at “Riverside, The Farnsley-Moremen Landing” in southern Jefferson County. Their event “200 Years on The Ohio” will be on September 20-21, 2014. I will be displaying some of our items from the collection, several photographs and a couple of maps. Information about the event can be found on the “Events” tab and here:

<"Riverside-Farnsley-Moremen Landing">

Farnsley Moremen house_old

“Louisville and The Great War” Exhibit a Success!

Our Exhibit “Louisville and The Great War” was a big success! I want to thank everyone who came to visit the Conrad Caldwell House Museum and especially those who made the extra effort to come for the exhibit. We had four fantastic lectures during the five months the exhibit was open, and attendance to those was very good. 100% of the proceeds from the exhibit, lectures and movie screenings went to help fund the Conrad Caldwell House. Many thanks to everyone. Hopefully we will have a permanent home in the near future. Here are more pictures from the exhibit if you were not able to attend.ÐHä